In some cases it is clear that children or young people are struggling in a particular area. Sometimes pupils need practice and additional support to apply appropriate strategies and develop the skills that they need to overcome their problems. Skills sessions usually last 40 minutes to one hour. Typically two to six sessions would be appropriate, depending on the needs of the child. Skills training can be individual session or perhaps for a small group of children who have a similar need. Charges for individual sessions start from £80 per hour, plus travel. It may be possible to conduct some skill development sessions remotely, depending on the needs of the child or young person.
A range of different sessions can be offered including:
- Managing anxiety or low mood
- Managing anger
- Attention and concentration skills
- Using the senses to boost attention
- Using the senses to reduce anxiety
- Strategies to manage sensory processing difficulties
- Relaxation and calming techniques
- Study skills sessions
- Working memory strategies
- Development of language and social skills using techniques such as Lego therapy
I just wanted to let you know how *** is getting on. The panic attacks and dark, lonely days on his own in his room are a thing of the past. He has his confidence back and is living a happy normal life. College is going really well and he cares about doing well. I feel he is now well-balanced for a lad of his age. We all played a part in getting him through those times and I thank you Plum for your part and for caring.
A parent of a teenager who undertook four sessions of skills training to cope with high levels of anxiety.